History of Jerusalem: Jordanian Annexation of the West Bank

editor Tuesday 8 August 2017 Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email Printer friendly

By Jewish Virtual Library.. In May 1948 the Arab Legion overran the eastern part of Jerusalem and occupied the Old City and its Holy Places. During the nineteen years of Jordanian administration, Jordan refused to honour its undertaking in the armistice agreement to accord free access to the Holy Places and to cultural institutions, and use of the Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives (Section III, Document 6, Article VIII, and Section V, subsection E, Documents 15 and 16).

Jews were barred from the Old City and denied access to the Western Wall and other Holy Places. The Jewish Quarter in the Old City was destroyed; fifty-eight synagogues were also destroyed or desecrated. Thousands of tombstones in the Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives were destroyed to pave a road and build fences and latrines in Jordanian army camps.

Moslem residents of Israel were not permitted to visit their Holy Places in East Jerusalem. Christians, too, were discriminated against. In 1958, Jordanian legislation required all members of the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre to adopt Jordanian citizenship. In 1965, Christian institutions were forbidden to acquire any land or rights in or near Jerusalem. Read the full story.

From:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jordanian-annexation-of-the-west-bank-april-1950

Also read: Can Israel Annex the West Bank Without Compromising the State’s Jewish Identity?

Share

Tags: , , , ,

39 views

Comments

No comments to “History of Jerusalem: Jordanian Annexation of the West Bank”

Leave a Comment

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.


Buy now! Israel a journey through time Christians for Israel Donate